The St Petersburg Police Department is not currently accepting internship applications.
The St. Petersburg Police Department offers a limited number of unpaid, one-semester internships to eligible college and university students. Interns observe and shadow Police employees in various units of the department. Participation and specific assignments are contingent on availability of positions and supervision. Local colleges and universities are given preference, should the number of requests exceed the number of positions
Requirements for consideration as an intern include the following:
- I am at least 18 years of age.
- I understand I will be subject to a criminal background check, polygraph examination, and fingerprinting.
- I have not been convicted of a felony crime.
- I have not been convicted of any misdemeanor involving the commission of an act contrary to the moral conscience of the general public.
- I have not been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement, notwithstanding suspension of sentence or withholding of adjudication.
- I have not received a dishonorable discharge from the Armed Services.
- I have not used, tried or experimented with any drugs classified as controlled substances, or any other illegal drugs, except marijuana, within the last three (3) years; and any past use of illegal drugs, not including marijuana, was not more than limited experimental use, unless under the care of a licensed physician.
- I have not used, tried or experimented with marijuana within the past six (6) months.
- I have not sold, offered for sale, induced or attempted to induce another person in the use of illegal drugs.
- I have not inhaled, ingested, used, tried or experimented with any harmful chemical substances within the last twelve (12) months for the purpose of inducing intoxication that distorts or disturbs the auditory, visual or mental processes, with the exception of those prescribed by and used under the care of a physician.
- I have not committed any serious undetected crimes for which I have not been arrested.
- I understand that I must meet all standards above and that I will be removed from consideration to intern with this agency if there are any standards that I do not meet.
Information about the St. Petersburg Police Intern Program:
Jo-Anne Swensson: 727-893-7094
Email Jo-Anne Swensson