The application process typically takes three to four months to complete. Any applicant who is discontinued in the selection process will be notified of the timeframe as to when they may reapply. If you have any questions please call 727-892-5555 or email email@example.com to speak to a recruiter.
Out of state and out of area (60 miles or 2 hours from the department)
- Applicants will meet with a background investigator by video conference to review their Personal History Questionnaire.
- The applicant will then be required to attend in person the administrative interview, polygraph examination, Physical Fitness Assessment, and the psychological evaluation, which will be scheduled over a four day period. The Command Staff will review the information obtained during these appointments to determine if the applicant will continue with the process. You will be notified of the outcome within one to two weeks.
- If selected to continue in the process, your background investigation will begin.
- Upon completion of your background investigation your file will be presented to the Command Staff for review.
- If you are Recommended for Hire we will contact you to return to complete the medical examination, ride along, and uniform fitting, which will be scheduled over a three day period.
- Once the medical clearance is received, we will call you with an official offer of employment.
All appointments are in person and will be held at the Police Headquarters, Police Training Annex, or medical facility. Applicants will have to successfully complete each step in the process before scheduling the next.
Click on each title to expand.
Apply for the Police Officer position through the City of St. Petersburg’s website. Successful completion of the CJBAT is required prior to applying unless you have an honorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces or associate degree or higher from an accredited college/university. Out of state Cadet applicants will need to complete the exam during their 1st set of appointments while completing the administrative interview, physical fitness assessment, polygraph examination, and psychological evaluation. Click here to get more information on registering for the CJBAT.
You will receive an email invitation to complete an online Personal History Questionnaire and submit all required documentation (Click here to get more information on the required documents). Once completed, your Personal History Questionnaire and documentation will be reviewed to determine if you meet the department's standards.
Please ensure that you are honest, truthful and forthcoming with all information. Any applicant who intentionally makes a false statement of a material fact, practiced or attempted to practice any deception or fraud in his/her application, examination or in securing his/her eligibility for appointment will be discontinued from the process. All information obtained during the selection process will be subject to review for truthfulness and integrity during a polygraph examination and a background investigation.