The Emergency Communications Division is under the command of Division Manager Jacqi Yeager. The communications center is a citizen's first point of contact when calling the police department.
The division is responsible for the following:
- Courteous, competent service when speaking with the citizens of our community
- All calls for police service within the City limits
- Dispatching 911 responders to citizen calls for police service
- Transferring calls that are not police related to the responsible agencies as needed
The Emergency Communications Division also houses the:
- Telephone Reporting Unit (TRU) which handles late reported non-emergency calls for service over the telephone. This unit is manned by officers on light duty.
- Training Unit - Employees are trained in-house by qualified instructors along with receiving “On-the-Job Training” with a communications training officer in a structured program.
- NCIC / FCIC Teletype Operators - Operators query the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) and the Florida Crime Information Center (FCIC) for driver license checks, warrant checks, entering runaways and missing persons as well as checking stolen vehicles just to mention some of the many options available by using the eAgent program.
In 2019, the Emergency Communications Center received 525,607 calls, of which 338,620 were non-emergency calls; and 47,651 were emergency or 911 calls.